If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (317) 773-0422

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Keep Your Family Safe This Holiday Season

11/28/2017 (Permalink)

The holidays are here and that means time with family and friends. Unfortunately, this is one of the most dangerous times of the year for household fires. More than twice as many open flame fires are reported on Christmas Day and New Year's Day than on average days throughout the year. There are several ways that you can keep your family safe this holiday season:

Kitchen fires are the most common type of home fire during the holidays. Never leave cooking food unattended and always keep a fire extinguisher handy. Keep flammable items such as plastic bags and towels away from the stove and oven and always supervise children in the kitchen.

Candles start two out of five home decoration structure fires. Keep any flammable items, such as curtains and holiday decorations, at least three feet from burning candles. Never leave candles unattended and always blow out all candles before going to bed. Keep candles on a level surface and utilize LED flameless candles when possible.

If your family enjoys a real Christmas tree be sure to keep it adequately watered. Even well watered trees will dry out within about four weeks and dry needles are a fire hazard. Check light strands for fraying and discard damaged strands of lights. Always unplug your Christmas tree lights before leaving the house or going to bed.

Stay safe this holiday season. If your home suffers a fire or smoke damage, call SERVPRO of Hamilton County anytime day or night at 317-773-0422. Our restoration experts are ready to help!

Other News

View Recent Posts