If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (317) 773-0422

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Avoid These Common Causes of Home Electrical Fires

5/15/2017 (Permalink)

A fire in your home can be devastating. Avoid the risk of injury, smoke and property damage by knowing the most common causes of electrical fires:

1. Old Wiring - Did you know that the lifespan of electrical systems in homes is 30-40 years but more than 30% of the nation's homes are more than 50 years old? Signs that your home's wiring may need to be updated include an over-reliance on extension cords and circuit breakers that blow or fuses that need to be replaced constantly. Consult with a reputable electrician to find out what updates your home needs to be safe.

2. Space Heaters - These portable heaters are not designed for long-term use. Portable heating devices should never be placed near combustible surfaces such as clothing, curtains, rugs, bedding or furniture. If you choose to utilize a space heater, look for a model that stays cool to the touch and has a built in automatic shut-off feature in case it is accidentally covered or left on.

3. Old, Outdated Appliances - Never use an appliance that has a worn or frayed cord. Never remove the grounding plug from a cord so that it can be used in a 2 prong outlet. That extra prong is designed to only be used with an outlet that can accommodate the extra electricity that this appliance draws. 

Even when taking precautions, electrical fires can occur and have devastating consequences in your home or workplace. If you experience fire or smoke damage, call SERVPRO of Hamilton County at 317-773-0422 day or night to speak with an experienced restoration specialist. 

Other News

View Recent Posts