The First 48 Hours After a Water Damage Are Critical
When you have experienced a flood in your home, it's tempting to adopt a "wait and see" approach to the damage. Maybe the water will go down. Maybe your belongings won't be damaged. Maybe your flooring will dry without intervention. Unfortunately, the steps you take in the first 48 hours after a water damage are critical to restoring your property and keeping your loved ones safe and healthy.
If you have standing water in your home, immediately turn off the power. Never attempt to enter a room that is flooded or touch the water without ensuring the power has been turned off.
Contact your insurance company. There are many different types of homeowners insurance and policies differ. Understand what type of coverage you have for your situation.
Contact the restoration specialists at SERVPRO of Hamilton County, of Indianapolis North and of Anderson at 317-773-0422. We will be onsite quickly to assess your situation and begin the dryout process immediately.
Keep these tips in mind immediately after a water damage event in your home:
What To Do After Flooding
- Remove excess water by mopping and blotting.
- Wipe excess water from wood furniture after removal of lamps and tabletop items.
- Remove and prop wet upholstery and cushions.
- Place aluminum foil or wood blocks between furniture legs and wet carpeting.
- Turn air conditioning on for maximum drying in summer.
- Remove colored rugs from wet carpeting.
- Remove art objects to a safe, dry place.
- Gather loose items from floors.
What NOT To Do After Flooding
- Don't leave wet fabrics in place. Hang furs and leather goods.
- Don't leave books, magazines or other colored items on wet carpet or floors.
- Don't use your household vacuum to remove water.
- Don't use television or other household appliances.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet, and keep out of rooms where ceilings are sagging.
When you need help fast, trust SERVPRO of Hamilton County, of Indianapolis North and of Anderson to restore your property and make it "Like it never even happened." Call us day or night at 317-773-0422.