Summer Fire Safety
Many people think of winter as the peak season for damage to property caused by fire, but the summer months provide a variety of opportunities for fire and smoke damage to your home. One reason for this is severe weather: lightening strikes are most common during the summer months and this combined with drier conditions can be a perfect recipe for a dangerous summer fire. Keep your family and property safe from fire related damage and injuries this summer by following some simple preventative measures:
* When building a campfire or firepit, be sure to keep your fire away from your home, deck or backyard play structures. Designate someone to be in charge of the fire until it is completely out-never go to bed while a fire is still smoldering.
* Similarly, keep your grill a safe distance from your home or deck. Keep a portable fire extinguisher near your kitchen or outside cooking area and teach all family members how to use it in case of emergency.
* Minimize the risk of property damage due to lightening strikes or man-made fires by regularly inspecting your home's exterior for build up of leaves and limbs that can ignite and spread flames.
* Keep your family safe by creating and practicing an escape plan in case of a fire emergency. Designate a meeting place a safe distance from your home.
* Check your smoke detectors monthly to be sure they are in working order and replace batteries as needed.
Summer months are great times to relax and enjoy time with family and friends. Even when following every precaution, disaster can strike your home or place of business and we are here to help. Call us day or night at 317-773-0422.